Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011: A Space Odyssey Fun World

5/1/11

Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland


Irish newlyweds need a few pointers from the 1800s, I guess.


Hapsome Neurs! I believe I speak for everyone when I say that this year feels much, much less catlike than 2010. Indeed, soon we will switch from Tiger to Rabbit on the Chinese calendar. We must all pace ourselves, especially when in competition with slow-moving people or shelled land mammals. And avoid haircuts this year (think about it...).


In honor of the approaching second week of January, I have decided to post a Very Special Weblogpost recapping some of the highlights of the first part of this particular trip.


I've got Chubbs for you. Itty bitty chubbs for you.



It's gonna cover Ireland pt. 1, the best and most interesting characters, and an unforgettable gag reel. You won't want to miss it, unless you've got a full frontal lobotomy to get. Those are the best evaa.

Ah, as you can tell, cabin fever has set in and is ravaging my sanity. (At least we'll always have Paris, eh sanity? Sanity? Saaanity? Oh saaaaanity? Here sanity. Here, here, here sanity. Here. Here. Sanity. Here. Here here here herehereherehereherehereheeerrrrity. San, san, everywhere a san. Sanity, silver and gold. Sanman, bring me a dream. Here comes the san (do da do do). Saaaanta Claus is coming to town. Actually, he's just left the building! And so have I.)


Ripley's, I've been around a bit recently. Most notably, I visited Galway City for an Irish weddin'. Boy, was that fun! And boy, do the Irish stay up late! And boy, were the pints a-flowin'!


The real Galway Girl: The Cathedral


It began auspiciously enough: my cousin's boyfriend and I were caught on the stairs behind the bride and groom as they made their much-photographed entrance. We were pinned there for a few minutes, our faces two half-Irish tomatoes, until the bride's father called us out (cue the laughter!). But everything picked up, and, following a glass of champagne and some mulled wine, soon dinner was served. I met a genuine Irish footballer who plays for County Clare whose father holds the Irish record for most national cross country titles. The band played a mix of Irish songs and revamped 90s hits in a most rocktageous way that got everybody on the dance floor until 2 in the morning, when Captain Buzzkill came by and brought the orders from the Man into action, shutting down the show. But that did not stop the party, which continued in every nook and cranny of the reception room until at least 6:30, which is when my roommate came back.


What's the craic, Ledgebomb?



You see, I had retired a mere 3.5 hours after midnight, feeling both too old and too young to continue the night. Certainly, the night was chalked up as a rip-roaring success.


There have been a few more excursions to report, such as hill climbing; New Year's feasting; about five different experiences with Galway Girl, the song; a stay with my cousin Aishling and her husband Niall in Dundalk; and the trip to Sola', the nightclub for all the youngins of Navan, which left me ears ringing for days. In fact, my left ear still has not recovered completely. I have never felt so deaf in my life as I have on this trip. But that's neither here nor there. Well, alright it is very much here. And it will soon be there. So, so soon.

2 comments:

  1. O Bobby, thanks for the recap...i really miss you nephew. And hope you are safe and make it through this, safely. Hugs, aunt dee. (((hugs))) xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby, you have been truly blessed during your travels. Claire and Col and their family have been so kind to you while you were visiting during the holidays. You even spent time with them while Claire's daughter got married! I'm sure Claire had a million things going on, yet they opened their home to you! Now that is something special. We will gladly host them the next time they decide to come to Chicago. I know you were sad to leave Ireland. Knowing you, this will not be the last time you will be traveling to Europe!

    ReplyDelete