Sunday, December 26, 2010

Naaaaav'n black 'n' blues

26.12.10


Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland


Perusing the last post, I was reminded how I was in a different world a few days ago: Temperatures were cool; the preferred foods were pizza, Parmesan cheese, and prosciutto; and Sean was with me. Here I sit in front of a fire in a drafty Irish home with some lovely cousins of mine, having just eaten a roast of chicken, potatoes, and parsnips. This has been their worst winter in many years – aside from last year – with the thermometer diving to -8 C and the snow piling up nearly six inches. OK, this is really nothing compared to Chicago, but it's still enough to cause a country ill-prepared for rough winters to shut down completely. And, of course, Sean is back home, no longer laughing it up with me in Europe.


Christmas in another place is quite strange. I don't mean that Irish customs are unusual or all that foreign, nor do I mean that the weather or landscape is that much different from home (this is a relatively flat part of the country, caught in a cold spell). This is the only tradition that I feel must take place with family (yes, I'm forgetting National Family Funn Day). Luckily, I have some wonderful cousins here in Ireland who have taken in this bedraggled warrior, or, if you'd rather, this smelly and unshaven man, for the holidays. But talking to my family yesterday made me happy in a way that I've not felt for a while. When you are on your own, feelings are either dampened or amplified, but in either case emotions aren't what you would feel in a stable environment with friends and family at hand. Yesterday, I was struck by how much I missed everyone back home when I was reminded of the distance by a phone call, made Christmas evening here and received Christmas morning there. Nothing like an immeasurable chasm of time and distance to strip away the self-erected layers of protection and reveal how dear something is to you.


Tonight, I'm accompanying my cousin Emma to some sort of club for an Irish celebration of Boxing Day, known here as St. Stephen's Day. I've received many tips how to avoid the common pitfalls of Irish clubgoers. Most importantly, the Happy Bus is to be shunned at all costs. This vehicle arrives at a party “after the seventh pint” and replaces all the ugly, overweight girls with attractive beurs. Another trick is to bring along a set of keys and tell all the girls that I have a Ferrari (You have a Ferrari? A few). But I think it all boils down to being smart and in control, much like the babysitter, and not “losing it.” At any rate, we're leaving soon, so I'd best be off. I only hope they play something decent. I wish I could walk into a place and be hit with one of Brian Eno's walls of sound, now that would be a treat. Or if Prince made a guest appearance and started rocking. Bobby D is out of the question. But I'll take what comes with a big ol' smile and dance dance dance my troubles away. And if said troubles stem from the dancin'? Then I revert to the Eclectic Slide.


Mrrry Chrrrrsmas! And a very merry one at that!

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Bobby! It was so nice talking with you yesterday! Skyping is sooo cool. I have to say that Christmas in the Kenney house was not the same without you! We missed you very much! You were definitely the man of the hour, maybe even beating out the man in the red suit!! You were the topic of conversation at cousin Ellen's house and then again at our house on Christmas day. Everyone is quite interested in your travels. The Keane family is so nice to take you in amidst the enormous task of hosting a wedding! How cool that you got to attend an authentic Irish wedding. You are family now!! Sean stopped by today and told us stories about the trip. It sounded like it was so much fun and very adventurous! He wishes he was back in Europe on his bike. He said it was a trip of a lifetime and he was so glad that you asked him to come along! Have fun Bob and take lots of pictures.
    Love, MOM and DAD XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie's comment sure brings the reality that Sean is no longer with you. We DID/DO miss you Bobby. Do tell about the wedding in a post. In detail, are they much different than a wedding here? I wish you were home, the Kenny kids have always been SO nice to me. I really do miss you. Johnny gave me the hug of a lifetime on Christmas, it reminded me of how much i miss you...and what do you mean this is your last post? I don't get that. Your writings have been the highlights of many days for me Bob and sometimes when i am down i come here for you. Can't wait till you're here. Love you honey. xoxoxo aunt dee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and thank you for all that you experience and share with us. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. An early Happy New Year to you, Bobby! You were most definitely missed this Christmas Eve at Ellen's house. I try to keep up with your blog as often as I can. I just can't fathom doing what you are doing. You are our hero! I'm with Aunt Dee. I want details from the wedding and any New Year's Eve fun. Drew got a netbook for Christmas and wants a camera to go with it for his bday. Maybe we could skpe with you then. Looking forward to your next post.
    Love,
    AC,Uncle Lar,Kids and Godiva

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi bobby just want to wish you happy new year and we missed you on xmas.always thinking of you.love you gram sandy xoxoxoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete