Saturday, January 15, 2011

Naples' papal stables don't staple the table, Mabel?












A Neapolitan sunset is unbridled beauty

15/1/11

Napoli, Italia

At least five separate people warned me to pay attention (attenzione) here in Napoli, but I have yet to experience anything foul. Instead, my time here has been nothing short of wonderful, giving me invaluable experiences galore. Indeed, I have sampled the food (pastries, pizza, special chickpeas, special broccoli, salami, and cheese), I have met many interesting and kind Neapolitans, and I've beheld many breathtaking views of one of the most beautiful cityscapes that exists.


Palm trees and lovely architecture. Note the abundance of winter coats: absurd for 16 C (60 F) weather.


To top it all off, I am staying with a lovely family that I met through Warmshowers who have singlehandedly improved my stay in the city tenfold. Francesco has taken me on a wonderful bike tour of the city, which attained some magnificent views of the setting sun and Napoli Bay.
I now prepare myself to set out in a few hours for Sorrento, where I plan to camp for the night and take a daytrip to Pompeii the following day. Monday, then, will see me avoiding the sheer drops of the Amalfi Coast as best as I can, and I'll be on my way to Salerno.


Again, Italy's got some serious churches going on; gold and marble everywhere, and not a drop to drink, unless you're above 1064 C.


Following my time on this wonderful peninsula, I will begin my trek to Sicily, hugging the Mediterranean coast the whole time.

And after Sicily? Well, that depends on how much this turns into a Bob Vs. The Volcano type deal. I'm kind of excited to finally be facing my single biggest enemy in life: The Volcano. I can only hope that NBC, or better yet Fox, picks up my epic struggle to beat The Volcano this winter in a one-of-a-kind special. You'd better tune in while I tune out The Volcano. But seriously I hope I don't become lava bait!

My take on this city is that it is a wonderful place to spend some time in order to appreciate the merger of a traditional lifestyle in a modern city. Drivers have to cope with narrow, cobblestoned streets while business still shuts down for mezzogiorno (lunch "hour").


City at night


I have enjoyed my stay but would not be able to live here, for it is not an accommodating place for easy travel or movement and lacks, as my host's friend Antonio put it, a certain economic drive that you would find in an American city of this size.












Do the Bill Clinton! No, not having an affair with your secretary; no, not smoking pot at Oxford; no, not balancing the US budget; well, maybe balance the budget, but then enjoy some folded Neapolitan Pizza Margherita !

4 comments:

  1. hi bobby always thinking of you,stay warm,eat good and have a good time(but be careful)love ya gramma sandy xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just ran to get a cigarette, yeah i am still smoking...anyhow, i told Uncle Randy, i am just finishing 'bobby's log'....lol. u know, like on star trek, captain's log. That was star trek wasn't it? o you would know...anyhow...what is special brocolli? And i love the pics, that one at night is beautiful. o to be in ur shoes, and for 10-15 minutes each time i read ur stuff, i AM in your shoes. It's amazing to see / hear things through ur eyes. mmm. i think they have it right...shutting down for lunch. Even in a busy city. Especially in a busy city. You have to take a break and see things freshly as you go back to work from the break. Great idea. love you bobby and for all you give me, thank you. ciao for now big boy. love aunt dee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps what is that in the last picture? it looks like food but what IS it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. o neapolitan pizza margherita, i see it now...it looks like a lot of bread and pizza sauce...

    ReplyDelete